Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Route

Here's the route, from my original email. (I'd draw a map but I'm lazy). The 2012 Obbard Overland starts and ends @my house* on Saturday, June 30th.

*I already emailed you the address and/or you've already been to my house. I don't want to put my address on a public blog 'cause you never know who'll show up.

Segment 1

From my house the route goes up Emigration Canyon over Little Mountain Pass, down the other side to the reservoir where we'll pick up the Mormon trail. Follow Mormon trail to Big Mountain Pass, then* down West slope of Mormon trail to Jeremy Ranch Road. JR road South to Jeremy Ranch, under I-80 to Pinebrook Park. This segment is slightly under (I think) 30 miles. If you are meeting us here we should arrive around 10-ish (unless we take the hard-core option below)

*A harder-core alternative here is to take Great Western from Big Mount South to Parleys cell towers. This would add 1 rigorous hour to the ride, but would give us the Avenues descent.

Segment 1 re-group points: Little Mountain Pass, Start of Mormon trail, Big Mountain Pass, Bottom of Mormon trail

Sue will likely meet us here with water, drinks, snacks, tubes, tools and anything you gave her to bring up. (If for some reason the Sue-resupply plan does not pan out, we'll swing by the Jeremy store.)

Segment 2

(This is exactly the route of the 2007 Chris C. birthday ride, for those of you who participated.)

Up Pinebrook Center trail, down Wallow to Mid-Mountain. MM up, up to ridge and follow to The Canyons Red Pine Lodge. We'll stop here for water. Continue on MM all the way South past Armstrong, Powerline and Spiro junctions to Crescent Grade. Climb Crescent Grade to Apex, Apex to Keystone, Keystone to Scott's Pass. Up Puke Hill and along the Wasatch Crest to Great Western (GWT), descend GWT down Mill Creek to Big or Little Water. Descend Mill Creek Road to Elbow Fork, pick up Pipeline trail, follow to Rattlesnake, down to road, take Wasatch Blvd/Shoreline back to my house. This segment is around 55 miles.

Segment 2 re-group points: Emily Roosevelt Memorial chair/overlook, Red Pine Lodge, Crescent Grade Junction, Scotts Pass, MillCreek Saddle (top of GWT), Big Water T/H, bottom of Rattlesnake, then Wasatch back to my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment