Friday, June 8, 2012

Preparing for Sandbagging

The OO2012 will be a long ride. On long rides, it's important to be efficient about time, and so I've been thinking about how we can make the best use of ours on June 30th.

One of the big time-sinks I've noticed on large group rides is the time spent early-on sand-bagging. One-by-one the members of the group take turns explaining why their upcoming performance on the ride will be far below their normal, expected, elite/pro-level athlete level. So, in advance of the ride, I thought we could all get ahead of the curve just a bit and do our sand-bagging here. Just post a comment to this post, explaining now why you'll be at a terrible disadvantage and riding way slower than your normal super-fit self, and then we can all just not bother to read it here rather than tuning you out in person and saying "uh-huh… uh-huh…" on the 30th. Sound good?


Of course, I recognize that all of us* have very busy lives and may not have time to comment at length, so to save time, you can simply select one of the standard sandbagging excuses I've provided below. Just hit post a comment, type the letter of your selected excuses(s) ("A", "B", "C", etc.) and you're good to go!

*Probably no one more so than me. I am way busy.

A) I'm just getting over a cold/flu/pneumonia/Ebola.

B) I was traveling at sea-level all last week for work.

C) My bike was in the shop all last week so I haven't ridden all week.

D) I'm way over-trained.

E) I'm hung-over.

F) I'm a pussy.

9 comments:

  1. Alex here. I'm going with a combo of A, B and of course F. See how easy this is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with F in advance but reserve the right to claim E on the morning of the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, you can't take B unless you take off the "for work" part.

    I'll use G) I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like because I have a job, unlike some people I know.

    Nah, I'll just take F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and nice song, but I think Nate may be better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...but I think Nate may be better."

    He is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually am the king of this when showing up for rides. I like the pre-packaged sandbagging excuses but I didn't see cancer or chemo listed under "A". No, I won't be using this excuse, or even trying the O.O.as my son (7yr old)is dropping me on hills right now. Just be aware, I'll be pulling the cancer/chemo excuse out when I do start riding again with you guys & from then on, the only other excuse for poor riding from anyone else will be "F".
    I'll see you guys (& Ash) @ the hootenanny...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey guys, I dont believe in sand bagging. I am simply going to kick all your sorry asses (ashley, this does not include you of course). So put your balls on and leave all excuses at home.

    Look forward to this ride. it will be super fun i am sure.

    Vicente

    ReplyDelete