Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hootenanny Logistics & Sides

After the ride we'll have a hootenanny at my house. A hootenanny in this instance means that I will provide burgers and salmon (or whatever strikes my fancy at Costco the day before) and you bring something else, where "something else" can be a side or dessert or whatnot. I'll have a fair amount of soda and beer, and if you drink a lot of either and/or have a favored brand, you're very welcome to bring more.

Rather than me try to coordinate sides, just comment to this post, saying what you'll bring. That way later commenters can avoid an excess of bean dip or pecan pie or whatever. Thanks.

P.S. I have a great hootenanny joke, which most of you have heard, but if not…

So this stockbroker from New York City strikes it rich, retires, moves out to Montana and buys a ranch. His first day, as he’s unpacking, he hears a knock at the door, and opens it to see a grizzled old rancher standing at his doorstep.

Rancher: Howdy neighbor!


Stockbroker: Neighbor?


Rancher: Yeah, I live in the ranch 20 miles down the road, and here in these parts, that’s neighbors! Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the neighborhood and invite you to a hootenanny I’m havin’ Saturday night.


Stockbroker: A hootenanny? What in the heck’s a hootenanny?


Rancher: Aw, a hootenanny is a great ol’ time! That’s when we get together, do a little eatin’, a little drinkin’ and a little dancin’. Later on we do a little more drinkin’, a little more dancin’, maybe some fightin’ and… (with a conspiratorial wink) maybe even a little f*ckin’!


Stockbroker: Wow, that sounds like a great time! Count me in!


Rancher: OK then, see you Saturday night!

The rancher turns and starts to walk away, when the stockbroker thinks of another question.

Stockbroker: Hey, uh, by the way, who all’s going to be there?


Rancher: Oh, just you and me…

8 comments:

  1. Alex here. I will provide burgers, salmon, beer and a house. Now you comment with what you'll bring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll work on keeping the women happy, by bringing a desert that is.
    -tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be there for the ride, but unfortunately have another commitment for that evening so I'll miss the hootenanny. Bummer!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Alex expressed his concern about having too many bags of chips, I'm concerned this may cause the reverse psychology of having no bags of chips - we can't have that. So I'll bring some corn chips and salsa, and at least one bag of crunchy cheetos for our host (if you ask nice he may share some with you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Vicente" will bring pie and ice cream. Aud will help sue with the sag wagon and is awaiting instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rainbow Spirit PaulJune 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM

    I'm in for a side dish

    ReplyDelete
  7. As sent in old fashioned email Sheila will bring a pie. I could bake all day but then I would miss the ride.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete